Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Draper Temple Open House

I've always been curious what an LDS Temple looks like on the inside and what the "big deal" is with it that they don't allow people from other faiths into it. So when I heard that the Draper Temple was finished and was having their open house, I sent Sasha a text asking if non-members could see the temple. She got me a ticket to go with her family and their neighbors.

Our tickets were for tonight at 7:20pm. It was a little overwhelming at first, but one of her neighbors walked with me and explained what each of the rooms were used for. We got to walk through the Bride's room which was beautiful and had these gorgeous sconces on the wall.

Sasha kept joking that she wanted to take one off and if she got hit by lightning on the way out, then she would know that the church is true. It was quite humorous! It is hard to see what they really looked like in person, from the picture, but they were very sparkly!

We walked through many of the rooms in the temple including the chapel:


And even went into the Ordinance rooms, the Celestial room and the Sealing room. Two of the Ordinance rooms look like mini theaters and even have a curtain. Sasha's neighbor said that the curtain is what they call the "veil." And once you are finished in the Ordinance room, the veil is lifted and you then go into the Celestial room. The Celestial room was GORGEOUS and had an amazing chandelier. I see chandeliers all day long, but this one was huge, bright and sparkled. I wanted to take a photo of it, but didn't want to get in trouble...there were too many people in the room. The Sealing room (of which they have 5) is where you become sealed to your husband/wife and/or children for time and eternity. They were very pretty as well.

Lots of rooms and lots of visitors. Here are a few photos from the rest of the time we spent walking through the tent tunnel and in the Stake Center. Sasha's neighbors are quite Mormon and have been trying to get the whole Zoumadakis family to convert to their religion, so they were taking photos of the families all together. Since I don't have any kids or husband, they took a picture of just me...with Jesus. Quite amusing! It was nice though to have accomplished seeing a temple in my life since I know I won't ever be in another! And I didn't get struck down...hahahahha!






No comments: