Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Big Changes Ahead!

I haven't written on here for three months and quite a bit has changed.

Since Tugger has left me, Diamond has become more lovey and sweet.  She talks to me all the time now and lets me pet her.  She has become such a darling little cat!  I think Tugger does come around quite a bit because she seems to play with something at odd times.

I have been without a job since October 25th when I was terminated from The Grand.  The first few weeks were the worst.  It got easier as time has gone on.  I have applied to over 260 jobs throughout the country and was able to get an interview for about 10 of those 260.  Not very good odds, huh?!  Well, back at the beginning of December, my aunt sent me a link to a job opening at a hotel called The Thayer Hotel in New York.  They were looking for a Catering Manager/Wedding Manager.  I applied for the position and made sure they knew I was going to be in NYC during the holidays if they were interested in interviewing me.  About a week or so went by and I received an email from them stating that they would like to interview me.  I setup the date for the interview while I was in town. 

My aunt had to work on the day I had my interview, so I took her car and drove upstate to West Point.  The drive is only about one hour from the city, so it's like driving to Ogden or Provo...except you drive through a National Forest and there are small towns every so often.  I had my first interview and it took about two to three hours.  I thought it went quite well and at the end of the first interview, they asked me to come back for a second interview since I was in town.  So, we setup a second interview for the next week.

For my second interview, my aunt joined me.  She sat in the gorgeous, but quaint, lobby and read.  The second interview felt really great and I went out of the hotel feeling pretty good.  Once I got back to Salt Lake, I sent out all of the thank you cards...and waited.  About two weeks after I sent the thank you cards I then called to followup.  I didn't hear back.  I called again the week after.  Nothing.  I emailed.  Nothing.  I then emailed another Manager and he got back to me stating that they had to put the hiring on hold for a while but that I should probably hear back soon.  About a week went by and I was about to call again when I received a call asking for a third interview.  We setup a conference call for the end of the week.  I felt like the interview went really well and it sounded like they did too.

I was told I would hear back either "Friday or next Monday."  I didn't hear a thing on Friday, so all weekend I was anxious.  Monday I practically sat next to my phone waiting.  I decided to go to the mall for a minute thinking that my time had passed hearing from them that day.  I heard my phone beep as if a message was left.  Once I left the store I was in, I checked my phone.  There was a message stating that they would like to offer me the position!  I missed the call!!!  I called back and it was too late, I left a message.  I didn't hear back from them until Wednesday.  They wanted to know when I would be able to start.  Thus, Big Changes Ahead!  I AM MOVING TO NEW YORK! :-)


For the past two weeks I have been working diligently on plans for my move.  Cleaning out my apartment, my room at my parents, scheduling movers, figuring out what will work and what won't.  Who to stay with and when to get out there...when to start my new job and my new life.

I have 7 days left in Salt Lake City and already I am nervous, anxious, nauseous, excited.  31 years in Salt Lake City and I am now moving to a city I don't know much about, but I have family as close as about 15 minutes away and as far as an hour.  My parents, brother and sister-in-law will now be far away from me.  Diamond is going with me and I hope she stays sweet and lovable because she's all I have for the first little while.  I'm going to try my best to update my blog every few days or every week.  It might be the only way I can look back on my new life and see how far I have gone.

No comments: